May 1, 2009

Tomato Rasam

It was a very lazy day for me. I did not want to prepare my usual style of rasam by pressure cooking the tomato. I wanted to try something new and simple. I came out with this recipe. Surprisingly both I and my husband liked this rasam very much. It is pretty simple and quick and has a very good taste when you use good rasam powder.


Ingredients:
2 medium tomatoes
1 tea spoon rasam powder
2 slitted green chillies
3-4 strands of cilantro, chopped
pinch of asafoetida
1 tea spoon sugar or jaggery

For seasoning:
1/2 tea spoon ghee
1/4 tea spoon mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves

Method:
Grind tomatoes into puree (raw, do not boil the tomatoes)
Boil the puree adding 1 cup of water or until desired consistency
Add green chillies
Add rasam powder, salt, sugar, asafoetida and boil for 5 mins
Add cilantro
Heat ghee in a separate small pan (skillet)
Add mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering add curry leaves.
Pour this into rasam

Serve hot with rice.

Serves: 2
Time: 20 mins

Note: Add 2-3 garlic cloves while grinding tomato if you like garlic flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment