Jun 10, 2009

Dhokla

Whenever I hear the word "Dhokla" I remember those yummy dhoklas of Anand Sweets on Commercial Street in Bangalore. I wonder about the varieties of dhoklas we get there and I havent found that taste anywhere else. I have tried a lot of times to prepare it at home. Though I dont get that authentic taste, I have finally managed to prepare.


Ingredients:
1 cup gram flour
1 tea spoon salt
1 cup butter milk
1 tea spoon ginger, finely chopped
1 tea spoon green chilli, finely chopped
1 tea spoon eno fruit salt


Seasoning:
1 tea spoon oil
1 tea spoon mustard seeds
3 slit green chilli
6-7 curry leaves
chopped cilantro
grated coconut (fresh or frozen)

Method:
Mix gram flour, butter milk and salt.The consistency should be thick.Let this ferment for 4-5 hours. Longer the better.
Add chopped ginger and chilli.
Add eno fruit salt to the above mixture.
Greese a steaming pan and pour the mixture into the pan.
Pressure cook this for 15 mins without whistles.
Cut these into desired shapes.

In a seasoning pan heat the oil and add mustard seeds.
When seeds starts spulttering add curry leaves and green chillies. Fry for sometime.
Pour this on cut dhoklas and sprinkle grated coconut and cilantro.
Serve hot

Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 6 hours (incudes fermentation time)

No comments:

Post a Comment