Nov 17, 2010

Masala Puri

I wanted to try masala puri for a very long time. I bought ready puris from New Indian Bazar and stocked it up for more than 2 weeks. I was too skeptical of preparing this. One fine day I was dying to eat chat and I didn't want to go out. Luckily the puris were still fresh and I could prepare Masala Puri at home. I did not get the authentic street chaat taste which we originally get in India, but my attempt was not bad :) My husband who doesn't like chaat at all at least tried and said it came out good.




Ingredients:
15 puris
1 cup green peas, soaked overnight
8-10 green chillies
5-6 leaves mint leaves
1/2 bunch cilantro
2 tablespoon ginger pieces
5-6 garlic pods
1 tablespoon oil 
Pinch of garam masala
Salt


For garnishing:
1 large tomato, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 medium size onion. finely chopped
Sev


Method:
Pressure cook soaked green peas. Make sure these are not over cooked.
Grind green chillies, cilantro, mint leaves, ginger and garlic along with 4-5 tablespoons of cooked green peas.
In a pan heat oil. Add the grinded mixture and garam masala. Only a pinch should suffice. If used more garam masala will over rule all other flavours.
Add salt and bring it to boil. Add cooked green peas and simmer it for 5-7 minutes.
In a plate break puris into pieces. Spread green peas gravy. Garnish it with chopped tomato, grated carrot, finely chopped onion and sev.
Serve hot.

Note: I havent used any sweet or sour chutney to this. If you want you can add different types of chutneys depending on your taste.


Serves: 3-4
Preparation Time: 1 hour (excludes soaking time)




3 comments:

  1. Yummy...really missing the cilantro minth chutney here as we don't get cilantro at all.

    ReplyDelete