Apr 5, 2013

Aloo Paratha

When Stuti was born we had a nanny to help me and take care of my DD for the first few weeks. She was a Punjabi women and agreed to cook food for us. She was a master in preparing roti and sabji or parathas. The parathas tasted yum and she was super quick in preparing. Though I could not spend all my time learning how to make parathas from her, I would see her preparing these whenever I had time. Now whenever we need a change from our usual authentic konkani food I make parathas. Surprisingly my DD has started liking parathas too and this is a big plus for me. 


Ingredients:

Chapathi:
1 cup wheat flour
Salt to taste
Oil
Warm water as required

Stuffing:
1 large potato, peeled and pressure cooked
1/4 cup green peas, frozen or fresh
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 green chilly
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon chilly powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon oil
Chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Method:
Mix together wheat flour, salt, oil and water. Knead into soft dough and keep it aside for 30 mins. Cover the dough with wet cloth. This will make the dough softer and easier to roll.
In a pan heat oi. Add cumin seeds. 
When it starts spluttering add mashed potatoes, green peas and all other spices. Mix well on low flame. 
Add cilantro. Cover and cook on very low flame for 8-10 minutes or until the stuffing mixture is very well cooked.
When the mixture cools down, make small balls and keep it ready.
Take small portions of chapathi dough and roll it. Place potato stuffing on rolled chapathi and fold it.
Roll it again and make sure the mixture doesnt come out.
On a hot pan fry with ghee (clarified butter) or butter.
Serve hot with curd and onion. I like to have green chilly with paratha :)

Serves: 2
Prepartion Time: 1 hr 30 mins





No comments:

Post a Comment