I remember bamboo shoots being harvested during monsoons. My granny and aunt used to store it in large bharnis/ceramic jars and prepare various dishes all throughout the year. Stored bamboo shoots tastes divine when compared to fresh ones.
I have never seen bamboo shoots in any Indian grocery stores but I see this in 99 Ranch Market. I guess these are seasonal because these are available sometime from December/January to April/May. Initially they were pricey but now I see the prices are coming down and also there are lots and lots of bamboo shoots in the store. This time I have decided to buy them in large quantities and store it for months :). My aunt reminded me of this recipe. Kirlu is bamboo shoot and ambat is gravy.
Ingredients:
1 cup bamboo shoots
1 cup toor dal
1 cup grated coconut
7-8 red chillies
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
Salt
Method:
Cut bamboo shoots into pieces. Pressure cook both bamboo shoots and toor dal upto 3 whistles.
Make a fine paste of coconut and redchillies.
In a pan mix together cooked toor dal, bamboo shoot and coconut paste and bring it to boil. Then simmer it for 8-10 minutes. Add salt.
In a skillet heat one tablespoon oil. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds starts spluttering add curry leaves.
Pour it on ambat.
Serve hot with rice.
Serves: 3-4
Prepartion Time: 35 mins
Storing of Bamboo Shoots: You will find layers of leaves which needs to be peeled. Only the tender portion is edible. Cut these into desired shapes. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of salt on it and save it in air tight box. I usually save it like this for more than 15 days before using it. Since bamboo shoots are soaked in salt, taste any dish before adding additional salt.
this looks so yummy,..
ReplyDelete