Nov 3, 2009

Lemon pickle/Limbia Kanchi

I have tried to understand the difference between lemon and lime and I am always confused. Well I guess I am thick headed :). Now I use lemon for pickles and lime for preparing juice or any other cooking. This pickle is very bland without any spices. I feel this tastes heavenly with porridge or curd rice. Got this recipe from my mom who is also a "Limbia kanchi" fan. Limbio is lemon in konkani and we call this particular pickle as "kanchi".


Ingredients:
4-5 large lemon
1 cup salt

Method:
Wash and clean lemons. Dry it completely with a cloth before cutting into desired shapes.
In a pan on a very low flame fry both lemon pieces and salt for about 10 minutes.Keep stirring.
Let it cool completely for about 8 hours.
Store it in a air-tight container for atleast 15 days before using this.
The longer you store it the better. It is always believed that old pickle tastes best than newly prepared.

Preparation time: 25 minutes (excludes cooling time)

Note: I stored for more than 1 month before using it. You can also add slit green chillies and chopped ginger with lemon pieces. The chillies tastes too good once it completes absorbs salt in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment