Sep 1, 2015

Sutta Punav

Sutta Punav one of the very important and auspicious day for Konkani Community is on August 29 2015. On this day all the men at home who have had Brahmopadesham (thread ceremony) will have to change their thread and wear a new one. This can be done at temple or even at home in front of family deity. It is a renewal of sacred thread and the thread is called Jannuve in Konkani.

I have read its a misconception that only Brahmins wear thread. Even Kshatriyas and Vysyas wear it. I came across a very interesting article which mentioned "Ancient scriptures say: “The sacrificial thread of a Brahmin must be made of cotton, so as to be put on over his head in three strings; that of a Kshatriya of sana thread only; that of a Vaisya of woollen thread.”

Usually unmarried men wear one with three threads in it and married men wear two with three threads in each. I recently learnt one is for wife. I was surprised to read in ancient days even women wore it and did sandhya rites. I am not sure why women had to stop this practice. This needs to be worn on left shoulder which hangs towards right.

Punav is full moon day and in North India this day is celebrated as Raksha Bandhan. Even though we do follow raksha bandhan the day is more focused on our traditional values. 

When I started writing this post I was trying to recollect how this day was celebrated at our house. Sadly I just have very vague memories of my eldest maternal Uncle changing it first and then followed by his brothers and then the younger generation boys. I think the last I celebrated this with my family was in 1998. Wow ! this tells me its been 15 years I havent been a part of this celebration. I moved to Udupi for my studies in 1999 and then to Bangalore for work and now here. As I mentioned I have not got a chance to be at my in laws place for any festivals.

At my in-laws jannuve is taken to the temple and puja is performed. Then it is brought home and one set of three threads is put to Diety like Vishnu or any Diety which family believes in. The other set is put to Tulasi. Only after this men can wear jannuve.

From what I remember and hear from folks back in India traditional rainy season delicacies are prepared on this day. Pathrode, Khotto, Patholi etc....mouth watering :-). The photos I have posted is of small celebration what we had at home. I prepared Cabbage upkari, Dalithoy, Sanna Khotto and Ponasa muddo for lunch. As it is believed Punav is considered very auspicious to perform Satyanarayana Puja, I read the Sathyanarayana katha which is believed to reap benefits and peace in the family.

I can not deny the fact that I have gained more information than ever before about Sutta Punav this year when I decided to write about it. Previously all I thought was of men changing their thread and also family and food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment