Sep 3, 2015

Steamed Jackfruit Idly/Ponasa Muddo

This year we have been very regular in buying fresh jackfruit from Ranch. They were very sweet and fresh. My husband being a very big fan of jackfruit we totally relish it every time we get it. For Sutta Punav I had to make something for dessert and I decided to go with Ponasa Muddo.

I have prepared these before but when I was new to this place I was not aware Ranch carries fresh jackfruits in season. I always got canned ones. Though it came out very well the taste we get when we make with fresh ones is different.



With the same batter we can make  mulik. Mulik is a deep fried version. But because we like muddo more I make it more often than mulik. Because I do not have the traditional pedavena, I steam these in my idly cooker. Except for the shape there was no difference.








Ingredients:
15-20 jackfruit pieces
1 cup grated or powdered jaggery
cardamom for taste
1/2 cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
1 cup rava (sooji)
pinch of salt


Method:
De Seed jackfruit from its skin and seeds. Cut into small pieces.
In a mixer or blender make a thick paste of cut jackfruit, coconut, cardamom, salt and jaggery. Add water only if required.
To this paste mix sooji. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
Spread this on a idly stand and pressure cook it for 15 minutes on simmer without whistles.
Eat hot with ghee.

Serves: 2
Prepartion time: 35 minutes

Note: This can also be served with bit of honey.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to have found another Aamchi. I have never tried with ponas before. Though I have tried dudhi and taushe. The ghee on the side with ponas looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Supriya...same here. It is nice to know you. You must try ponas sometime. You will love it you like ponas. Duddhi and taushe is on my list sometime during next time. By the way your blog has great pictures !

    ReplyDelete