Feb 17, 2010

Bamboo Shoot Gravy/ Kirla Ambat

I remember bamboo shoots being harvested during monsoons. My granny and aunt used to store it in large bharnis/ceramic jars and prepare various dishes all throughout the year. Stored bamboo shoots tastes divine when compared to fresh ones.

I have never seen bamboo shoots in any Indian grocery stores but I see this in 99 Ranch Market. I guess these are seasonal because these are available sometime from December/January to April/May. Initially they were pricey but now I see the prices are coming down and also there are lots and lots of bamboo shoots in the store. This time I have decided to buy them in large quantities and store it for months :). My aunt reminded me of this recipe. Kirlu is bamboo shoot and ambat is gravy.





Ingredients:
1 cup bamboo shoots
1 cup toor dal
1 cup grated coconut
7-8 red chillies
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
Salt


Method:
Cut bamboo shoots into pieces. Pressure cook both bamboo shoots and toor dal upto 3 whistles.
Make a fine paste of coconut and redchillies.
In a pan mix together cooked toor dal, bamboo shoot and coconut paste and bring it to boil. Then simmer it for 8-10 minutes. Add salt.
In a skillet heat one tablespoon oil. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds starts spluttering add curry leaves.
Pour it on ambat.
Serve hot with rice.


Serves: 3-4
Prepartion Time: 35 mins


Storing of Bamboo Shoots: You will find layers of leaves which needs to be peeled. Only the tender portion is edible. Cut these into desired shapes. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of salt on it and save it in air tight box. I usually save it like this for more than 15 days before using it. Since bamboo shoots are soaked in salt, taste any dish before adding additional salt.

1 comment: