Dec 9, 2010

Mango Sweet Curry/Ambe Upkari

Let me first tell you that this is not the authentic recipe of "Ambe Upkari" which we originally prepare in India. This dish is prepared with very small mangoes, which we call it as "gonto ambo" ( I am not sure what those are called in kannada or english). When I saw mangoes this season the very thought of "ambe upkari" made me feel I need to prepare it. So I went ahead with mangoes which I found here. This did satisfy my craving but I love the original recipe of this.




Ingredients:
4-5 Mangoes
1/2 cup grated jaggery
2 green chillies
1 teaspoon maida
Salt

Seasoning:
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
3 red chillies

Method:
Peel the skin of mangoes. Try to do this from your hand as it will have better pulp.
Put all the skin into a pot and pour some hot water. Set it aside for 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile take one mango and make a thick pulp of it.
Mash the skin of mangoes which are set aside and remove the pulp as much as possible.
Put together the pulp from both mango and mango skin in a pot. Add salt, jaggery and slit green chillies. 
Add all other mangoes along with its seeds.
Add maida and keep stirring intermittently. 
Bring this mixture to boil on simmer.
Prepare seasoning in a skillet and pour it on mango curry.
Serve as side dish.

Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 30 mins

Note: You can store this for 3-4 days. In fact this curry tastes better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment