Jun 4, 2013

Tingal Avre Kolombo/White Bean Sambar

Its been a while since I posted anything on my blog. Time is a constraint. Though I was clicking pictures whenever I prepared something which I want to put on my blog, I could not post it.

Back home this is typically prepared with a white bean called "Tingalavre". I am not sure what is it called here. I have tried to find these beans in Indian stores with no success. I started substituing with "Lima Beans".  These beans cook very easily and does not need soaking for more than 3-4 hours.



Ingredients:


1 cup white bean
1 large tomato, chopped
1 large potato, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon tamarind extract
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
7-8 curry leaves
1 tablespoon sambar powder
1 tablespoon jaggery powder
Cilantro, chopped
Ghee/Oil for seasoning
Salt 

Method:
Soak and pressure cook white beans upto one whistle or until done.
In a heavy pot add oil/ghee. 
Once ghee is hot add mustard seeds. After mustard seeds start spluttering add cumin seeds, curry leaves.
Add chopped potato and add 1 cup water. Once the potato are cooked 80% add chopped tomato.
Add salt, jaggery, tamarind extract and sambar powder.
Add cooked beans. Bring it to boil.
Add chopped cilantro.
Serve hot with rice.

Serves: 3-4
Preparation Time: 45 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment