Apr 14, 2010

Dal/Dalitoy

Being a konkani  "dalitoy" recipe is a must on my blog. I have seen people preparing this differently and I myself have two different styles. Overall this is a very simple gravy prepared with cooked toor dal and seasoned with ghee. I always wonder why we konkanis are so fond of this dal :). This is kind mandatory in any of the ceremony lunch/dinner menu.I learnt this from my vhanni (brother's wife).

I am posting this recipe for Suma's, a fellow blogger of a wonderful blog Veggie Platter "Delicious Dals from India"  event.






Ingredients:
1 cup toor dal
3 green slit chillies
4-5 curry leaves
1/4 cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen)
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
1 cup water
Salt

Seasoning:
1 tablespoon ghee
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
asafoetida

Method:
Pressure cook toor dal along with slit green chillies, curry leaves, grated coconut and ginger upto 3 whistles.
Add water, salt and bring this mixture to boil for 5 mins in a pan.
In a small pan, prepare the seasoning with ghee, mustard seeds and asafoetida.
Pour this on dal.
Serve hot with rice.

Serves: 3
Preparation Time: 35 mins

Note: I do not prefer this dal to be very thick and I add more than 1 cup water. If the dal is prepared thick, it can used as side dish even for chapati.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mythili for sending over this traditional, comforting dal for the event.

    ReplyDelete