Sep 25, 2009

Sauted Yam in Coconut/ Surna Koot

Off late I have been getting millions of tips and recipes from all my relatives and friends. Though I have been trying everything I just could not post any on my blog. I have a huge backlog and really want to keep a track of these wonderful recipes. So, for the next few days you will see new posts everyday !

This is a very easy recipe and I sure wanted to prepare this with pongal. I bought cut yams from frozen section. I do see fresh yams every week in both Indian stores and Ranch Markets, however I dont get the taste of those fresh yams which I used to have in Thirthahalli, my hometown.


Ingredients:
1 cup cut yams
1 cup grated coconut
5 table spoons oil
5 red chillies
1/2 tea spoon tamarind extract
1/2 tea spoon mustard seeds
5 curry leaves
Salt

Method:
Heat 4 table spoons of oil in a skillet and fry yam pieces on simmer.Fry this until yam turns dark brown. This will take around 15-20 minutes.
Make a smooth mixture of grated coconut, red chillies and tamarind extract.
Drain excess oil and pour fried yam pieces into this paste.
Prepare seasoning with remaining one table spoon oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pour this into sauted yam and coconut mixture. Add salt and mix it well.
Serve with rice or pongal.

Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 30 mins

Note: The coconut mixture should not be heated. Just mix the yam into coconut paste and mix it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment