Oct 14, 2009

Steamed Rice Patties with Coconut Stuffing/Ghatti

Ghatti is something very similar to patholi but it is not sweet. I learnt this from my aunt. I have never seen anyone else preparing this and even my hubby was surprised to hear word "ghatti". He said he never had this before. This is usually served with coconut oil on it. But I prepared a very spicy asafoetida chutney.


Ingredients:
4-5 large pieces of banana leaves (for steaming)
1 cup rice
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
Salt

Method:
Soak rice in water for 3-4 hours.
Drain the water and grind this with 1/2 cup of grated coconut. This should be a thick paste and not watery like dosa batter. Add salt to taste.
Place the cut banana leaves on a hot stove. This will make the leaves soft and easy to fold.
Spread the batter on banana leaves and place remaining grated coconut in the middle.
Fold this and steam it for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker without whistles.
Serve hot with coconut oil.



Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 25 mins (excludes soaking time)



Note: The main ingredient is banana leaves without which this dish is incomplete. The aroma of banana leaf make this very tasty and special.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    This looks interesting and I want to try it out. Can you please let me know how you got Banana Leaves in US.

    Regards,
    Neethu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Neethu. I found them in Asian Super Markets in LA and Arizona. Look in the frozen section. Hope this is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neethu, Where do you live in US? Its easily available in Indian Groceries in Bay Area.

    ReplyDelete