Dec 9, 2009

Horse Gram Soup/Kulitha Kadi

Couple of months back I posted a recipe for Kulitha Koddel. Whenver I cook horse gram I do not throw the excess water. Instead I store it for few days and prepare this kulitha kadi. Both me and Pr just loves this simple kadi.

My uncle was an agriculturist and my aunt used to cook a lot of horse gram to feed the cattle. My grandma never used to throw the water of this and had a beautiful idea of re-heating this until the water really gets very thick like a paste. Store it for more than a month and prepare this yummy kadi whenever we want.


Ingredients:
1 cup horse gram
2-3 cup water
3-4 green chillies, slit
4-5 red chillies
4-5 garlic pods
1 table spoon oil
salt

Method:
Soak horse gram for few hours. This will help cook horse gram faster.
Pressure cook horse gram for 5-6 whistles and then again simmer it for atleast 5-7 minutes.
Drain all the water from cooked lenthils.
Bring this kadi to boil by adding green slit chillies and salt.
In a skillet heat oil, add red chillies and garlic pods. Fry this until garlic turns slightly brownish.
Pour this seasoning into kadi.
Serve hot with rice.

Serves:5-6
Preparation Time: 30 mins (excludes soaking time)

Note: I soaked horse gram for more than a day changing water intermittently. You can also use chopped onions instead of garlic. Prepare kulitha koddel or kulitha upkari with cooked horse gram.

No comments:

Post a Comment