Dec 29, 2009

Onion Potato Dish/Batate-Piyava Sukke

Recently I have been getting lot of potato recipes. I have quite a few of them lined up to try and then post it. Since its been a holiday season for 2 weeks now I am feeling totally relaxed and I have taken off from my cooking. Today I had boiled potatoes ready and I decided to prepare this sukke. Sukke in konkani means dry. So this dish is without gravy and can be served with rice as a side dish.


Ingredients:
2 boiled potatoes
1/2 large onions, chopped
1/2 tea spoon coriander seeds
1/2 tea spoon urad dal
1/2 cup grated coconut
7-8 red chillies (I use long red chillies)
1/4 tea spoon thick tamarind extract
1/2 tea spoon mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
3 table spoon oil
1 cup water
Salt

Method:
Boil potatoes upto 2-3 whistles. Peel and cut them into small cubes.
Chop onion into small pieces.
Heat 1 table spoon of oil and fry urad dal, red chillies, coriander seeds and grated coconut for couple of minutes.
Grind this with tamarind extract to a paste. Let the paste be course and not too fine.
In a pan heat remaining 2 table spoon of oil and add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add curry leaves.
Add chopped onion and fry until translucent.
Add the coconut mixture and add 1/2 cup of water. Simmer the stove and keep stirring this mixture. Add some more water as and when required. Once the mixture is completely cooked add boiled potatoes and fry for 3-5 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed.
Serve hot with rice.

Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment