Jan 14, 2010

Steamed Colocasia Patties/Pathrode

Colocasia Patties or Pathrode is a konkani delicacy. This is usually prepared a lot of times during rainy season. Most of them have these leaves grown in their own garden. The leaves are very itchy yet times and you need to be really careful while picking the right ones. I do not like this dish because once someone served me these patties and I really struggled to get rid of itchy feeling. I had to rub some tamarind and salt on my tongue to get the relief. Since then I am really scared to eat this and I just have a small piece whenever it is prepared at home. My husband loves pathrode and this time I got some really fresh colocasia leaves from one of the Indian Grocery Store.

Preparing this dish takes some time and putting together everything correctly comes from practice. I am not an expert yet but this effort was worth it!


Ingredients:
8-10 colocasia leaves
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 fist mung bean (green gram)
10-12 red chillies
1/2 tablespoon jaggery (optional)
1/4 teaspoon thick tamarind
Salt

Method:
Soak rice and mung bean for 6-8 hours. I soaked this overnight.
Grind together rice, mung bean, grated coconut and red chillies into a paste. Add salt, tamarind extract and jaggery to the paste and mix well.
Clean colocasia leaves in luke warm water.
Place bigger colocasia leaves on a flat surface and spread coconut paste on it. Then keep the second leaf on it and spread coconut paste on it. Continue this process for 7-8 times.
Once a layer is formed fold it carefully.
Steam it for 20 minutes on simmer. Cut it into desired pieces.
Serve hot with drops of coconut oil on it.

Colocasia Leaf


Spreading Coconut Paste



Rolled Colocasia Leaves with coconut paste stuffing



Steamed pathrode cut into desired sizes. Ready to eat :)



Serves: 4-5
Preparation Time: 1 hour (excludes soaking time)

Note: Mung bean or green gram is used too make pathrode softer. If you don't have green gram use thin poha.

1 comment:

  1. hi
    i normally apply the paste ouside the leave (on the veins)but it does not matter however u make them Looks great and i am planning to do this recipe this weekend waiting for the leaves to frow little bigger in my garden
    u r doing a good job thanks very well done blog
    thanks

    ReplyDelete