Mar 8, 2010

Dosakai Jackfruit Seeds Side Dish/Magge Bikanda Sukke

I am not sure what is Dosakai called in english. I believe it belongs to cucumber family and its called yellow cucumber. I have seen this only in Indian grocery stores, guess this is widely used by Indians. In konkani we call it as "magge". Well I am a great fan of "magge upkari". "duddha sheeth (rice mixed with milk) and magge upkari" is my all time favorite. I can eat it any day and any number of times. Again this combination is from my grandmom.

I bought frozen jackfruit seeds to prepare alvatti. The quantity was too much for one time use. My vhanni (sister in law) reminded me of this recipe. Sukke means dry in konkani. This dish does not have gravy and is usually served with rice and dal.



Ingredients:
1 dosakai
1 cup jackfruit seeds
1 cup grated coconut
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
4-5 red chillies
1/4 teaspoon tamarind extract
3 tablespoon oil
4-5 curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 cup water
Salt

Method:
Peel and cut dosakai into cubes. Thaw jackfruit seeds for 30 mins.
In a pan or wok heat oil. Add mustard seeds. While mustard seeds starts spluttering add curry leaves. 
Add dosakai and jackfruit seeds. Cook for 8-10 mins or until these are par boiled. Add water as required.
Meanwhile fry urad dal and coriander seeds in one tablespoon oil for couple of minutes.
Make a course paste of grated coconut, red chillies, fried urad dal and coriander seeds.
Pour coconut paste and add 1/2 cup of water. Add salt and tamarind extract.
Close the lid and cook it until the vegetables are completely done. Keep stirring at timely intervals else the coconut paste may stick at the bottom.
Serve with rice.


Serves:3
Preparation Time: 25 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment