Feb 4, 2010

Colocasia Leaves in Coconut Gravy/ Alvatti

Alvatti is prepared mostly during rainy season but its been few weeks I am seeing colocasia leaves (patra leaves) regularly in Indian grocery stores. Initially I was skeptical of buying because these leaves might get itchy. When I could not resist myself we bought it and now I have been preparing all possible delicacies. Yesterday I prepared alvatti which is my all time favorite. I also found bikand (jack fruit seeds) which is the best combination for this curry. Today the left over was tasting even better :). 




Ingredients:
15 colocasia leaves, chopped
fistful chana (kala)
fistful jack fruit seeds
1 cup grated coconut, fresh/frozen
8-10 red chillies
1/2 teaspoon tamarind extract
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon oil to fry urad dal and coriander seeds
1 tablespoon oil
7-8 garlic pods
Salt

Method:
Soak kala chana for 7-8 hrs or overnight.
Pressure cook chopped colocasia leaves, soaked kala chana, jack fruit seeds upto 3 whistles.
Fry urad dal and coriander seeds in 1 teaspoon of oil.
Make a smooth paste of grated coconut, red chillies, tamarind extract fried urad dal and coriander seeds.
In a pot add both coconut paste and cooked colocasia leaves and bring it to boil. Add salt.
In a skillet heat oil and fry garlic pods.
Pour it on colocasia curry.
Serve hot with rice.

Serves: 3-4
Preparation time: 35 minutes (excludes kala chana soaking time)

No comments:

Post a Comment