Feb 11, 2010

Fried Colocasia Patties/ Shakavrata Pathrode

Shakavrata Pathrode is straight from my grand mom's kitchen. She used to prepare this mostly during rainy season. The recipe is slightly different from steamed colocasia patties/pathrode which I posted few days back. I like this more than the steamed ones. Curd gives a very different taste after frying it on hot tava.

When I asked my aunt why was this dish named as "Shakavrata Pathrode",  she said "Shaka had this during vrata". Well I don't think there is any defined story behind this but I did read articles about Shalivahana Saka king and I came across an interesting article which said Hindus follow Shalivahana Calender. As far as I understand Shaka Vrata is followed during chaturyamasa and people should not eat red chillies, vegetables etc. It said red chillies can be substituted with peppercorns. Guess this dish has something to do with it ! We use couple of green chillies in this only to get spicy taste.


Ingredients:
8-10 colocasia leaves
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup grated coconut
7-8 peppercorns
1-2 green chillies
1/2 cup thin poha
1/2 cup thick curd
1/4 teaspoon thick tamarind
1/2 cup rice flour
3-5 tablespoon oil
Salt

Method:
Soak rice for 6-8 hours. I soaked this overnight.
Soak thin poha in curd for about 1-2 hours.
Grind together rice, grated coconut, soaked poha, green chillies and peppercorn into a paste. Add salt, tamarind extract and jaggery to the paste and mix well.
Clean colocasia leaves in luke warm water.
Place bigger colocasia leaves on a flat surface and spread coconut paste on it. Then keep the second leaf on it and spread coconut paste on it. Continue this process for 7-8 times.
Once a layer is formed fold it carefully. Cut into desired shapes.
Dust rice flour on cut pieces.
On a hot tava spread oil, place cut pieces of pathrode, cover and cook.
Serve hot with rice.

Serves: 3-4
Preparation Time: 25 mins (excludes soaking time)


Note: Curd is the key ingredient which brings the taste. Use thick curd for better taste.



1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious. I have heard/seen this dish for the first time and it looks so appetizing.

    ReplyDelete