Jul 28, 2010

Mango Sweet Curry/ Ambe Sasam

Its been exactly two months I haven't updated my blog. I was referring to many other blogs especially Vah chef for everyday cooking. We tried different recipes both veg and non-veg and to our surprise every dish we prepared was awesome ! Now I am back here again to update authentic konkani recipes. There are so many recipes from my good old childhood days which I have forgotten and I felt the blogging should go on. It helps me maintain all the recipes at one place. 

We bought few mangoes last week which were very sour to eat. The best was to prepare ambe sasam or ambe upkari. Both are my favorites. I prioritized sasam as it is very easy and simple to prepare. Ambe upkari is surely on my cards this week. This sasam is usually prepared during special occasions or even festive days as it does not contain garlic and onion. This is typically prepared with a combination of ambe-avanasa (ambo = mango, avanasa = pineapple). Few people also add few grapes. I did not have pineapple and I prepared it with only mangoes.





Ingredients:
2 mangoes
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 red chillies
2 green chillies, cut into slit
11/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon oil
4-5 curry leaves
1 tablespoon jaggery powder 
Water (as required)
Salt

Method:
Peel mangoes and make small pieces.
Make a paste of grated coconut, red chillies. After making a course paste add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds to this paste and then again grind it to a smooth paste.
Add salt, jaggery, slit green chillies to coconut paste. Add mango pieces.
Prepare a seasoning with oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Pour it on mango gravy.
Serve it with rice as side dish.

Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 20 mins


Note: This does not need cooking the gravy and will tastes good if it is served chilled.



No comments:

Post a Comment