Oct 21, 2010

Cooked Leaves in coconut gravy/ Bhajje Sasam

These leaves are called edible amaranth or red leaf . These are mostly used in China town and Southern Asia.
We in konkani call it as tambdi bhajji. Tambdi is red and bhajji is leaves.At my home right from my childhood I have seen this being used in variety of dishes. We can prepare simple stir fry as it is nutritious yet very tasty. These are available even in Ranch 99 stores.


I make sure we eat at least one green leafy vegetable once a week. Many a times we bring multiple leafy vegetables but minimum one is compulsory. The leaves were truly fresh and I had to pick them up. I relish most of the dishes prepared with green leaves. I prepared my mom's recipe sasam. This is my favorite !



Ingredients:
1/2 bunch red leaves
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies, cut into slit
11/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon oil
4-5 curry leaves
Water
Salt


Method:
Clean and chop the leaves into pieces.
Cook them in enough water. I do not pressure cook it because it takes out the original color and it over cooks the leaves too. I always cook it in a pot with lots of water and then completely drain the water in a colander. We can use this water for cooking dal or even prepare rasam.
Make a paste of grated coconut, green chillies. After making a course paste add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds to this paste and then again grind it to a smooth paste.
Mix cooked leaves to this ground paste.
Add salt.
Prepare a seasoning with oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Pour it on the gravy.  
Serve it with rice as side dish.

Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 25 mins  

1 comment: