Oct 2, 2015

Poddale Dalithoy/ Snake Gourd Dal

The main source of protein in our diet is from Dal or lenthils. The go to dal for me is Toor Dal which is also called as Pigeon Dal. It not only is nutritious but also enhances the flavor even when I make authentic Dalithoy. Any Konkani Food Blogger will feel their blog incomplete if they do not post the recipe for Dalithoy. Mine is incomplete too :-)

Whenever I go to India I scribble down recipes in a book from my in-laws and aunts. This recipe is from my Aunt and I made a note of this may be more than 3 years back. She served me this dal when we went to have dinner at her place. I immediately asked her for the recipe. 

The best part of this dal is this will serve as a gravy for rice and also will have poddale pieces in it. So any lazy day I honestly prefer making this. I will not have to feel guilty I havent served my family veggies. Lastly this is delicious too !



Ingredients:

1 snake gourd
1 cup cooked toor dal
1/4 cup grated coconut
2-3 green chillies (adjust per spice level)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
Salt
Pinch of turmeric powder

For Tadka:
1 tablespoon ghee
Curry leaves
Mustard Seeds
Red Chillies (optional)
Hing

Method:
Wash and cook toor dal in pressure cooker. 
Cut snake gourd and cook it with toor dal. You can cook it separately in a pot also.
Make a paste of grated coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds and turmeric powder.
In a pan mix together cooked dal, snake gourd and coconut paste. Add salt and bring it to boil.
Make a tadka. Heat ghee, add mustard seeds. When it starts spluttering add red chillies, hing and curry leaves.
Pour it on dal. Serve it with rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment