May 3, 2010

Asafoetida Chutney/ Hinga Chutney

I am not at all a "chutney person". I eat chutney only if I have nothing else. But this chutney is an exception. I really enjoy eating Ramdhan with this chutney. I got this recipe from my MIL and she said ramdhan is the best match for this chutney. She was so true. Now whenever I prepare ramdhan or ghatti I prepare this chutney without fail.



Ingredients:
1 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies
2 tablespoon oil
3 red chillies
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon tamarind extract
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
6-7 curry leaves
Salt

Method:
In a skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add green chillies and asafoetida and fry for couple of minutes on medium flame.
Grind the above ingredients with grated coconut, red chillies, tamarind extract, salt and water into a smooth paste. Use water as required as this chutney is served thick and not watery.
In a skillet heat remaining one tablespoon oil. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds starts spluttering add curry leaves.
Pour this on chutney.
Serve it with any dosa or idly.

Serves: 3-4
Preparation Time:15 minutes



1 comment:

  1. I ahve never heard of hings chunet before, I make sasam chutney often. Will surely try this soon.

    ReplyDelete