May 10, 2010

Fish Masala Fry

I started eating fish around my wedding time. I was too picky and not liking fish too much. When my sister-in-law invited us for lunch she served this and forced me to taste. I must say I instantly fell in love with it. She said they prepare this with "maanji" that's "white/silver pomfret". 

After moving here we have been getting white pomfret very often. Though there are other fresh fish available at Ranch 99, we prefer this as it is originated from India and wild caught. We usually prepare this with rice and dalitoy which is a wonderful combination.




Ingredients:
1 white pomfret
15 red chillies (preferably byadagi)
4-5 garlic pods
3 tablespoon oil
7-8 curry leaves
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce or tamarind extract
1/2 cup water
Salt


Method:
Wash, clean and cut the fish into desired sizes.
Make a paste of red chillies and garlic with 1/4 cup of water. This paste should be thick. 
In a pan, heat oil. Add curry leaves and fry for couple of minutes. Pour red chillies paste to it and add remaining 1/4 cup water. 
Add ginger garlic paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, soy sauce or tamarind extract and salt to the above paste. Keep stirring it until the paste starts thickening. 
Add fish pieces and cook on simmer. Flip the pieces careful after 3-4 minutes with a spatula. The fish cooks very easily and quickly so be careful while flipping.
Serve hot with rice and dal. 


Serves:2
Preparation Time: 20 minutes

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! My first time here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it for dinner tonight. I substituted tilapia with pomfret as I could not find the latter. It came was delicious!

    ReplyDelete