Oct 12, 2012

Aloo Dum/ Cooked Potato in thick gravy

During my kindergarten days I lived in Darjeeling, West Bengal for about a year. Aloo Dum is a dish we used to have there. I got this recipe from my aunt who lived in Darjeeling with her family too. I was too young to remember much about that place. But my mum tries to recall about those winter, going to school having khichidi and aloo dum. We had been to Darjeeling sometime when I was in college. Had corn, steamed momos but completely missed relishing aloo dum.

I do not prefer preparing potato dishes too many times but occasionally I make aloo dum for dinner to serve it with chapathi. This can be made with baby potatoes and really spicy. But I make it with normal potatoes without too many chunky pieces and spice level as medium.




Ingredients:
2 medium sized potatoes
3 teaspoon chilly powder
1 tablespoon wheat flour
1 garlic 
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Salt
Water as required

Method:
Pressure cook potatoes and peel it. Cut it or mash it per your choice.
Sprinkle salt, chilly powder and wheat flour.
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When it starts spluttering add garlic and fry until it turns brown.
Add the potato mixture. Add some water so that the mixture doesnt stick to the pan. Mix it well and bring this to boil on low flame. Add water as required. As we add wheat flour the gravy will thicken as it comes to boil.
Serve hot with chapathi or roti of your choice.



Preparation times : 45 mins
Serves - 2

No comments:

Post a Comment