Mar 18, 2013

Kukka Bonda/Chinese Potato Bonda


I started this blog as a database for all the recipes I get from my family and friends. Recently one of my very good friend emailed me if I am still blogging about my collected, tested and tried recipes. Well, I completely have stopped blogging after Stuti is born. She keeps me so busy all day long ! I thought I should kick start it again. Atleast couple of recipes a week :-)

Chinese potato is nothing but kukka which we get in Mangalore. DH loves it and so does DD. When I was talking to my SIL she mentioned about this being available in US and I thought we should give it a try. Now chinese potato has been my go to "quick side dish" every time I run out of time. I make sure I always have a stock of these in the freezer.

When I mentioned about its availability to my aunt she said I must try bonda. Though I am striving to maintain a healthy non-fatty food diet, I could not resist trying this. All the ingredients and methods are exactly same as aloo bonda I posted long ago. Worth a try !




Ingredients:
 3 cups chinese potatoes
4-5 green chilies, finely chopped
3 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
Pinch of asafoetida
Oil for deep frying
Salt

For Seasoning:
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
7-8 curry leaves, finely chopped

For batter:
1 cup besan
Water as required
Salt

Method:
Peel and pressure cook chinese potatoes. We get peeled and cooked ones here and that saves me a lot of time.
Add green chilies, cilantro, ginger, asafoetida and salt.
Prepare the seasoning with oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pour it on potato mixture.
Mix all the ingredients nicely and make balls of desired size.
Make a thick batter with besan, salt and water. Be careful while mixing salt as potato mixture also has salt in it.
In a heavy bottom pan heat oil.
Dip mashed potato balls into besan batter and deep fry on low flame.
Serve hot.

Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 45  mins.


No comments:

Post a Comment