Sep 16, 2010

Jackfruit Seeds Curry/ Bikanda Hinga Udda

Bikand in konkani means jackfruit seeds. I always wonder how our elders found these recipes ! My grandmom had a recipe for almost every edible part of a vegetable or fruit. That nature has faded a lot through generations. Well all these recipes just makes me feel nostalgic about my childhood. 

I bought a pack of jackfruit seeds from New India Bazar :) couple of months back to prepare alvatti and sukke. Whenever my husband opened the freezer he reminded me of these leftover seeds lying there ! Today I decided to finish left over seeds.The easiest and tasty dish to prepare was "hinga udda" which is hingu means asafoetida and udda means water.


Ingredients:
1 cup jackfruit seeds
1 cup grated coconut
5-7 red chillies
1/4 tea spoon tamarind extract
1/4 tea spoon asafoetida
1 table spoon coconut oil
2 cups water
Salt

Method:
Cook jackfruit seeds in a pot. I used  frozen ones which were half cooked. Cooking in a pot for about 5-10 minutes did suffice. If you are using fresh ones you can pressure cook. Make sure the seeds are not over cooked.
Grind coconut along with red chillies and tamarind extract into a smooth paste.
In a pan bring this paste to boil by adding 2 cups of water.
Add cooked jackfruit.
Mix asafoetida with couple of spoons of water and add it to the gravy.
Add coconut oil, salt and boil it for 3-4 minutes.
Serve hot with rice.

Serves: 2
Preparation Time: 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment